During lockdown, we sent some of our charcuterie to Sean, the head chef at The Lovat to play with while his business was closed. He came up with this fantastic dish and we are delighted to share it with you so you can have a shot at making it at home.
We’ve been supplying The Lovat for many years now with our Charcuterie and it’s always a treat to see and taste Sean’s wonderfully creative dishes. The Lovat is an award-winning, eco-conscious, 4-star hotel situated in a beautiful Victorian building located in the loch-side village of Fort Augustus, in the heart of the Scottish Highlands. As well as an incredible dining experience, they offer excellent accommodation and unforgettable Loch Ness views.
The Lovat are now open to the public again, bookings can be made via their website here.
Great Glen Charcuterie Smoked Grouse Taco by Sean from The Lovat Loch Ness
Serves: 10 canapé size tacos
2x Great Glen Charcuterie grouse breasts
1x thickened sour cream
1x bag hairy bittercress or watercress
60g beetroot purée
60g wholemeal flour
40g plain flour
2g baking powder
30g natural yoghurt
Guacamole with lovage:
1 ripe avocado
2 small shallots finely chopped
1 small chilli finely chopped
juice of half a lime
a few leaves of chopped lovage
10 thin slices of beetroot around 4cm wide
50g wine vinegar
1x star anise
1. Firstly to make the tacos sieve the dry ingredients together. Then mix in the beetroot and yoghurt to form a soft dough. Rest for 20 minutes, now cut the dough into 10 equal pieces and roll each one into thin circles.
2. In a medium-hot pan (dry) fry each taco for about 10 seconds on each side. Then place them into a small container with a lid to allow them to soften.
3. Next for the guacamole with lovage, crush the avocado until almost smooth then add in the remaining ingredients to taste.
4. Now it is time to make the pickled beetroot. Mix all the ingredients for this together except the slices of beetroot. Now bring the ingredients to the boil with the beetroot. Allow them to go cold before serving.
5. To build the tacos, spread some of the guacamole on the beetroot taco, top with a beetroot disc, then lay five thin slices of the grouse breast on the top. Now pipe over some thickened sour cream, scatter over some hairy bittercress and they are ready to serve.
To buy our Smoked Grouse Breast for this recipe click on the link here.